Vitamin D Overdose Treatment
Vitamin D overdose is very rare. However, this can happen in cases when extremely large doses are used. We will tell you more about vitamin D overdose causes and treatment. Vitamin D overdose can be a result of using extremely high doses of vitamin D supplements. Patients who are severely deficient in vitamin D have to take doses as high as 50, 000 International Units (weekly, or twice a month). Of course, such doses are prescribed for a reason. If a person’s condition is serious, high doses have to be given. However, in such cases, patients are always supervised by their doctors. Vitamin D levels in blood are regularly measured, and once they go higher, the dosage will be adjusted and it will be lower. Still, there are people who are afraid of becoming deficient again, and they sometimes take larger doses than recommended, believing that vitamin D supplements won’t harm them. Anything can harm you if you use it in the wrong way! Keep in mind that you must not modify your dosage without consulting your doctor!
What Are the Symptoms of Vitamin D Overdose?
Vitamin D overdose is characterized by the following symptoms:
● General weakness
● Dehydration (caused by severe vomiting and/or diarrhea)
These symptoms will likely lead to exhaustion and weight loss. Weakness, numbness and coordination problems may result from the symptoms mentioned above. Muscle pain can also occur, just like in people who are deficient in vitamin D. If you use large doses of vitamin D, and you experience any of the symptoms mentioned here, visit your doctor and ask him/her to modify your dose.
The best you can do to prevent vitamin D overdose is control vitamin D levels in blood. If you are severely deficient, your doctor will insist on checking your vitamin D levels regularly. Once your condition gets better, your dosage will be changed. You won’t have to take extremely large doses. Even though vitamin D supplements are considered safe and overdose is highly unlikely, keep in mind that it is possible and it can happen to anyone!
For people whose vitamin D levels are normal, daily recommendations are from 400 International Units to 600 International Units. However, according to some researches, even the dosage of 1000 International Units cannot harm you. Still, the dosage will depend on various factors. Only a medical professional can give you the right dosage, based on your vitamin D levels in blood. You should not use any supplements without having your vitamin D levels measured first.
Vitamin D Overdose Treatment
Vitamin D overdose can be treated, but you need to visit your doctor in time. This means, as soon as possible. Your doctor needs to be familiar with your condition and all other problems you have been through, so make sure to tell your doctor everything. Don’t forget to mention the symptoms you have. Some of the symptoms can be easily mistaken for some other health problems. You should not try to relieve any of these problems by taking other medications. Visit your doctor to see what is wrong.
People who experience vitamin D overdose are advised to stop taking the supplements for a while. Vitamin D is fat-soluble (not water-soluble), and your body can’t just eliminate it, like some other vitamins. When you stop using vitamin D supplements, your body will gradually get back to normal and you will stop having the symptoms.
As we said, daily recommendations go from 400 to 1000 International Units per day. If you are healthy and have normal vitamin D levels in blood, you can use vitamin D supplements, in accordance with daily recommendations.